[UK-CONTEST] Commonwealth contest scoring query

Nigel G3TXF nigel at G3TXF.com
Tue Mar 13 06:11:42 EST 2007

Hello Alan,

In the 2006 BERU results listing on the HFCC website they show the BCA
figure (which is irrelevant in the computation of the score) whereas in
previous years (2005, 2004) they have shown both the BCA and the (much more
important) Bonus total. It is the number of Bonus QSOs (x20) that gives you
the Bonus Points to be added to your QSO Points (x5).

Hence the confusion!

I have print-outs of the 2004, 2005 and 2006 BERU results which I studied
closely on the long flight out to V2. The bit that confuses me is the
"Restricted Section". In the 2004 BERU results 5B4AGN, ZF2NT and 5B4AGC were
shown as the top three stations in the Restricted Section. Now, as far as I
know, none of these three fine contesting chaps is into what the BERU rules
call an "antenna restricted to single element".

Maybe the definition of "Restricted" has changed since the 2004 BERU, but it
is all quite confusing!

While I'm on the subject of the Commonwealth Contest Rules as published on
the RSGB Website, there is no mention of the contest calling format. This
weekend I used nothing other than the four letters "BERU". No "Test", No
"CQ" and No "CC", just "BERU" all the way.

Good luck working out your claimed score. I did it the hard way. I used CT
in the contest and then sucked the resulting Cabrillo file into Excel to
work out my claimed score, including the Bonus Points and the BCAs.

73 - Nigel G3TXF