[UK-CONTEST] BERU

gm4fam at tiscali.co.uk gm4fam at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 05:16:42 EST 2007

I was always under the impression that BERU was a DX contest.

Part of its appeal to me is the challenge of finding and working
stations the vast majority of whom are outside Europe and discovering
unexpected band openings with the attendant propagation vagaries - rate
just doesn't figure in the equation.

Personally I am not bothered about achieving a high position over
other stations outside the UK - but I do like to achieve something
compared to others within the UK (a contest within a contest and
something akin to who can achieve 5th place in the Premier League!).

Can someone tell me what skill is needed or how any sense of
achievement is gained through working inter-UK - especially on LF?

I heard several non-full licence holders working V25XF and other
leading stations - surely that is what should be encouraged (perhaps
those leading stations could provide stats of how many 'less
competitive' UK stations they worked?).

And if inter-UK working is allowed will 50% of participants (ie UK
stations) concentrate more on 40 and 80? And what effect will this have
on activity in the Rest of World where there will be less UK stations
to work?

For those running 100w and a G5RV, why not double or quadruple the
bonus points (as per Stew Perry) - that may well provide some
encouragement and incentive.

73 de CRIS
GM4FAM