[UK-CONTEST] BERU

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Fri Mar 16 06:03:40 EST 2007

On 16 Mar 2007 at 0:00, gm4fam at tiscali.co.uk wrote:

> For those running 100w and a G5RV, why not double or quadruple the
> bonus points (as per Stew Perry) - that may well provide some
> encouragement and incentive.

Now that is an idea... Stew Perry offers double points for 100W and
quadruple points for QRP (5W) with the other party's score getting a
similar bonus when those contacts are confirmed in adjudication (ie
both sides send in logs). It gives that bit of incentive for those
who struggle to work just a few stations to actually send in logs,
which I have been doing for the past few years.

I get frequent comments from friends that they don't bother with BERU
because it is seen as a big station's event and very frustrating for
those poorly equipped. Some even call it the 'boring' contest. For
myself I do go on, but mainly to look for band slots and to catch
those countries one never hears any other time (why?, that is another
matter!!). I have little incentive to work bulk VEs etc when I know I
will still appear way down in the published results, however they are
presented. But I always get a nice acknowledgment from ZL6QH thanking
me for the QRP contact, they and others are always very prepared to
dig the weak ones from the noise.

If we do nothing to the rules to encourage more participation from us
smaller fry (and to encourage my sceptical friends to switch on their
rigs) it will remain the contest for the big boys.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com