[UK-CONTEST] G3RCV

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Fri Mar 23 18:37:11 EST 2007

Cray Valley used the 80m CC contest as a training exercise as well. Only
G8ITB and G4HSU were with me for the contest, but G0VJG and G0FDZ helped
put up the antenna. We used a dipole at 50ft and FT1000MP at what we
have found to be a very good radio location in Dartford.

Both operators have dabbled in 80m and 2m club contests but with limited
antennas at home have always been 'QSO fodder'. Now it was time for them
to do the CQing. Before the contest I gave a short presentation on some
of the dos and don'ts, then at 8pm I operated for the first five
minutes, making about 12 QSOs. Richard G8ITB took over, and did a great
job making a total of 143 QSOs. For someone who has never CQed before in
a contest to any great extent, it was great to see him get the last 10
rate up to at least 180, and to copy the callsigns correctly, at least
for the most part.

Will he become an avid contester? I don't think so, but at least he has
had a taste of pileups from the other side. We plan to run some more of
these sessions with some other club members.

Dave G4BUO