[UK-CONTEST] WPX - G4IIY

Ian Fugler G4IIY zen90387 at zen.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 05:46:18 EST 2007

As I said in my posting last Friday, I invited members of the recently reformed Carlisle Radio Club to participate in WPX SSB from my station.  I set it up for a multi-2 operation, albeit with fairly ordinary equipment/aerials.

Colin (G6LSO) spent about 30 hours in the shack.  I managed to grab a few hours, in between family commitments.  There were a few club members who visited, but none could be tempted to operate.  We spent a good deal of time explaining what was happening; station set-up, contest rules, operating techniques (we did almost entirely s&p)....  I anticipate that some will return and 'have a go' next time.  Colin is totally hooked on contesting and I got him running on 20m on Sunday afternoon/evening.  It was pity that condx were not a little better.  But he enjoyed working dozens of south Americans.

Not going to win anything, but the scores are as follows:

Band   QSOs

160m  62
80m   179
40m   287
20m   565
15m   45
10m zilch

Total Qs 1,138
Mults  594
Score:  1.46m

Gear:

FT1000MP
Explorer amp
3el tribander
Inv L
40/80m verticals

FT990
FL2100Z amp
Butternut HF6V

N1MM networked to three PCs.  Third PC was for the visitors to get used to the logging software, opening different windows, etc.

Ian G4IIY