[UK-CONTEST] G4IIY WPX

gm4fam at tiscali.co.uk gm4fam at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 01:49:13 EST 2007

Just wanted to post my congrats Ian on your efforts to stir some
contest interest in CRC - seems to have done the trick with at least
one individual - let's hope this is just the beginning!

73 de CRIS
GM4FAM

>As I said in my posting last Friday, I invited members of the
recently reformed Carlisle Radio Club to participate in WPX SSB from my
station.  I set it up for a multi-2 operation, albeit with fairly
ordinary equipment/aerials.

>Colin (G6LSO) spent about 30 hours in the shack.  I managed to grab a
few hours, in between family commitments.  There were a few club
members who visited, but none could be tempted to operate.  We spent a
good deal of time explaining what was happening; station set-up,
contest rules, operating techniques (we did almost entirely s&p)....  I
anticipate that some will return and 'have a go' next time.  Colin is
totally hooked on contesting and I got him running on 20m on Sunday
afternoon/evening.  It was pity that condx were not a little better.
But he enjoyed working dozens of south Americans.