[UK-CONTEST] April 2007 Radcom letters

Tim Kirby tim at timkirby.net
Thu Mar 29 13:24:49 EST 2007

Chris, I couldn't agree more. I was dismayed to see the letters. Presumably the lack of pro-contesting letters is an indication that none have been received rather than an editorial bias against contesting!

For what it's worth, I believe that keeping amateur radio alive is all about creating activity and interest. Contesting is by no means the only way of doing that but empirical evidence suggests that it gets more people on air than any other activity.

I have nothing but admiration for the fine band of experimenters who Steve, GW4ALG mentioned in a letter a month or two ago. But for the band of dog in the manger types that don't really want to be active themselves, but don't want anyone to be active in a way that doesn't fit their model of
amateur radio as it was 20 years ago, I have a lot less sympathy!

May I suggest it is time for some pro-contesting letters to the editor! Do it now, rather than replying to this!

Tim, G4VXE