[UK-CONTEST] April 2007 Radcom letters

G3SXW g3sxw at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 29 13:31:49 EST 2007

Yes, Chris, of course we agree. But you left one of the most important
points off your list: contesting brings many newcomers to the hobby.

But I do NOT suggest that you send your reply to RadCom - this would merely
prolong a debate which has been sterile for some years. There are a tiny
number of vociferous, bigoted nay-sayers out there like GI4OWA whose letters
appear regularly, saying the same, boring old thing. RadCom should simply
ignore them - they have had their say and they have lost the argument.
Anyway, we do not need to defend something which is patently so enormously
good for amateur radio.

We should expect RSGB not to print controversial letters simply because they
are controversial. This is not a soap-opera. The RadCom audience is bored
with the anti-Contest brigade. If they want to leave the hobby their tiny
numbers would not be missed and the hobby would not suffer. If contesting
were curtailed the hobby would suffer hugely, possibly mortally. The logic
is inescapable: the 'problem' is that tens of thousands take part in
contests. Which democratic system allows a handful of extremists to
influence the majority?
73 de Roger/G3SXW.