[UK-CONTEST] April 2007 Radcom letters

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Fri Mar 30 02:01:35 EST 2007

> But I do NOT suggest that you send your reply to RadCom - this would merely
> prolong a debate which has been sterile for some years. There are a tiny
> number of vociferous, bigoted nay-sayers out there like GI4OWA whose letters
> appear regularly, saying the same, boring old thing. RadCom should simply
> ignore them - they have had their say and they have lost the argument.
> Anyway, we do not need to defend something which is patently so enormously
> good for amateur radio.
>
> We should expect RSGB not to print controversial letters simply because they
> are controversial. This is not a soap-opera. The RadCom audience is bored
> with the anti-Contest brigade.

Roger

Again, you're talking to the wrong audience! You and others need to
write to Radcom and *tell* them that you're bored with the anti-contest
brigade!

In the present circumstances the Editor will go on printing anti-contest
letters with the risk that sooner or later, a head of steam will build
and Board members or others will decide "something must be done". We
might see some RSGB contests sacrificed, which we know would be a
meaningless gesture but that's what some of the people who are voted
into position like to do from time to time.

I think it is extremely dangerous only to have the antis writing to
Radcom. The only way to provide some balance is for committed contesters
to put the case for their aspect of the hobby, even at risk of
prolonging the debate.

Cheers, Dave G4BUO