[UK-CONTEST] Improving CW Capability

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Fri Mar 30 06:55:41 EST 2007

On 30 Mar 2007 at 12:26, G3SXW wrote:

> [SXW comment] Perhaps this helps to describe the problem of accurately
> transferring a call-sign into the log-book and our multi-tasking
> ability.  I suspect that Dr Fiez is right that there's considerable
> variability in the ability of CW operators in this way. This article
> doesn't suggest how to improve our 'echoic storage' ability, merely to
> understand it. Maybe it's a brain-training issue, but perhaps Morse
> could help as a brain-training tool. 73 de Roger/G3SXW.

It probably also explains that strange situation that sometimes
happens to me in a contest. Sometimes I work a station and am not
sure that I have got the call correct so listen for him to send it
again. Virtually every time I have actually typed it in correctly the
first time. Presumably the call is kept in my brain long enough while
I type it then promptly forgets it again.

When copying plain language morse I definitely store whole words and
even parts of sentences and am very rarely aware of the individual
characters never mind about the dots and dashes. The human brain is
quite remarkable and CW really is just another language once you have
got over the initial hurdles.

The Koch and similar methods are fine for those initially learning
morse but I suspect Stewart is rather past that stage now, so there
is probably no better way than simply using it on the air, backed up
with Rufz and similar aids.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com