[UK-CONTEST] Improving CW Capability

G3SXW g3sxw at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 30 06:26:25 EST 2007

Stewart,
The 'rhythm method' is a contraceptive device. HA! No, it's funny you should
mention this. Do you get CQ Magazine? I've just read (Apr 2007, page 95,
'Contesting' column by K1AR) an item entitled "Morse Code and Short-Term
Memory". Here's a summary:

### 'Verbal working memory' is our ability to keep information on-line for a
short period of time that we can then access later. An everyday example
would be looking up a phone number, closing the phone book and dialling the
number. When we hear spoken language we recruit something called 'echoic
storage', or a virtual tape recorder in the brain. A fluent Morse operator
uses echoic storage to support his performance. There may be considerable
individual variability and it may partly depend on how often a person uses
Morse. If you write down copy as you receive, the use of the brain's echoic
store may not be utilised in the same way as listening to Morse while it is
being transmitted and internally processing it. ###

[SXW comment] Perhaps this helps to describe the problem of accurately
transferring a call-sign into the log-book and our multi-tasking ability.  I
suspect that Dr Fiez is right that there's considerable variability in the
ability of CW operators in this way. This article doesn't suggest how to
improve our 'echoic storage' ability, merely to understand it. Maybe it's a
brain-training issue, but perhaps Morse could help as a brain-training tool.
73 de Roger/G3SXW.