[UK-CONTEST] set top box

Colin colin at g3psm.net
Fri May 25 09:56:47 EDT 2007

David,

A somewhat outdated and incorrect opinion I'm afraid!

The RSGB in association with our sister IARU Societies in Region 1
managed to have the the then European Directive 89/336/EEC amended.
This through the good offices of MEP EA8AK who works closely with the
Region 1 Eurocomm Committee.   Incidentally RSGB General Manager Peter
Kirby is Vice-Chairman of this committee.

The relevant extract of the now Directive 2004/108/EC dated 15th
December 2004 states -
> (2) Member States are responsible for ensuring that radiocommunications,
> including radio broadcast reception
> and the amateur radio service operating in accordance
> with International Telecommunication Union (ITU) radio
> regulations, electrical supply networks and telecommunications
> networks, as well as equipment connected
> thereto, are protected against electromagnetic disturbance.
The UK Government has signed up to this agreement and Ofcom are now
responsible to uphold this Directive.   Recent meetings between the RSGB
and Ofcom have served to reinforce this position and the EMC Committee
would be interested to receive reports of recent instances where this
position has not been followed.

In brief Peter, if Virgin Media don't do anything about it contact the
EMC and seek their advice.

By the way I apparently cause problems to my Virgin Media/NTL Samsung
DTB but only when running 400W to my long wire.   Really asking for trouble!

73

Colin, G3PSM