[UK-CONTEST] RFI-ADSL Modem

Les Allwood g3vqo at mapleleaf.plus.com
Tue May 29 04:51:46 EDT 2007

Hi All

I encountered a similar problem with my wireless router, a D-Link DSL-604+.
It had worked fine for several years, but then developed an aversion to any
transmitted signal on 80m towards the end of last year.

Like everybody else, I tried ferrite rings, disconnecting other equipment
(Sky+ box, cordless telephone base, etc) and using different telephone
sockets, without success.

Then, in a moment of inspiration, I remembered that BT had fitted an
external extension lead from the main box to an upstairs bedroom way back in
the 80s. I'm guessing that the exposed cabling had deteriorated over the
years, as it was extremely noisy when I plugged a phone into it. As it was
un-used in these days of cordless phones, I ripped out the wiring and, as if
by magic, the router problem disappeared. I had already disposed of the old
cable, so was unable to measure it, but I suspect that its length was
somehow acting as an 80m antenna.

Maybe this will give somebody a clue if their installation has a critical
length of wire within.

Good luck.

73 de Les, G3VQO