[UK-CONTEST] SD CW keying

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Sun Nov 11 18:42:01 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Tran ZL1CT" <zl1ct at gm7v.com>

> I don't like ESM mode in either SD or N1MM -

In both loggers, ESM is just another option.  When
conditions are right, and especially when running, it
can be a real bonus.  If you're not happy with it,
don't use it.  On the other hand, if you can suggest
ways of improving it - so much the better.

However, it's preferable to use ESM with WinKey.  That
way, when you get out of sync, all you have to do is
switch ESM off (one keystroke with SD) and continue
with the paddles or the function keys.  Anyone trying
ESM without Winkey would be at a bit of a disadvantage.

> 'Enter' key does *not* always know what the operator
> wants to do next, except in the most straightforward
> of situations ?

That's fair comment.

> The number of keystrokes required to correct or undo
> an ESM action seems to outweigh any possible time savings
> in the longer term ?

It's more a matter of operating convenience than a time
saver.  If you need to correct or undo something, the
best option is to stop ESM until you're back in control.

73,
Paul EI5DI