[UK-CONTEST] CQWW: GM3SEK 40m SOSB

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Tue Nov 27 13:57:31 EST 2007

This was a trial run for the 40m 4-square, almost two years in the
making but only finished on the Thursday afternoon. Well, not quite
finished yet, but "good enough for contesting".

It was originally intended to be a serious effort, making appropriate
excuses for missing an American friend's Thanksgiving party on the
Sunday. But then she and her partner decided to take the opportunity to
get married, so there went Sunday afternoon - and with it, and all ideas
of a serious entry. Instead I decided to go SO Assisted and put some of
the effort into picking up any new countries along the way.

In the first few hours, it seemed quite hard to get anything going. The
expected NE path into the US seemed seriously skewed towards the south,
and continental US signals were weaker than I'd hoped for. Maybe all
their attention at the start of the contest was on the Caribbean, which
was good for strong signals and multipliers but doesn't produce much
volume of QSOs. The dawn greyline produced a few JAs and ZLs, but they
were weak and fading.  It all seemed like hard work, and by mid-morning
I stopped for a kip with a QSO total that wasn't all that much greater
than G3YMC's  :-)

Then came Sunday afternoon, with a glorious 3-hour run of LP to zone 3,
Far East stations and plenty of Europeans to keep the rate at a steady
120-130 per (which is amazing by my standards). All that backache laying
radials was paying off after all! Finally lost the frequency when the
band opened to the US, and K1TTT thought it sounded like a nice quiet
spot... but that one run had put 335 in the log.

The rest of the contest was the usual mix of S&P, shorter runs, catnaps,
kiss the bride, the normal sort of thing. Sunday morning greyline
brought stronger signals than Saturday, but the JA signals had an awful
bell-like echo that made the dots and dashes run together at contest
speed... possibly the greyline was open in both directions?

Since this wasn't a competitive effort, I kept going up to 1000 QSOs by
mid-evening and then pulled the switch. Subject to deciphering a few
scribbled queries, it ended with 1007 (+ dupes), 117 countries, 33
zones, and a 4-square that is just about run-in and ready for its first
service.

New ones for 40 CW, only 3... and one of those was GW (thanks, Steve)!
I would have found the other two without the Cluster, simply from the
size of the pileups, but undoubtedly would have missed some other mults.
However, if I had been seriously contesting, instead of partly DXing and
going to a wedding, I would definitely have gone strict SO.

Thanks particularly for all the QSOs with G stations.

Rats! Scratch MU0A, so make that 1006/116/33.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK