[UK-CONTEST] CQWW CW - GM5A SOSB(A) 80 HP & GM2T SOSB(A) 15 HP

John MacLean MMØCCC mm0ccc at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 18:54:37 EST 2007

Jonathan M5FUN and myself operated CQWW CW from Barns Ness Lighthouse
SCO015.  Jonathan did a 15m entry, whilst I opted for 80m.   Our shack was
an outbuilding adjacent to the lighthouse, and with a cold North wind coming
in off the sea all weekend, the comfort of a roof over our heads was most
welcome.

With both of us using verticals, set up didn't take very long, which was
fortunate, as we only arrived on-site about an hour before sunset on the
Friday afternoon.  Even the Titanex was up in half an hour.  It took longer
to unravel and lay out the radial mat!  Given the bitterly cold WX over the
weekend we were glad we'd agreed to scale down the 15m antenna to a
vertical.

I wasn't sure what to expect total-wise for QSO's on 80, so after the
Saturday morning shift ended about 0930hrs, looking at what I'd worked
(420Q) a target of 1500 was set.  Certainly left it late to reach this
target, and thanks to Dave G3NKC for QSO 1500 AT 23:59HRS ;-)  Nearly blew
it after taking too long off at 2000hrs for some GM0RLZ Contest Chilli,
fortunately got spotted twice late on which helped claw back some 3
pointers.

Scaling down from the 5ele @ 60' (used in the SSB leg) to a ground mounted
1/4wave vert, Jonathan was also a tad unsure how 15 would turn out.  For
large periods, the majority of QSO's were into European and Close-in Asiatic
Russia.  Though he got the USA mult, the band never really opened in this
directions at all, with cndx to Carrib not much better.

We used Win-Test logger which worked perfectly all weekend.  Set up each
station for our individual bands/callsigns, and shared a GPRS connection
over the network for our cluster spots.  80m set up - FT1000MP, LPT&ETM9C
Keying, ETO91b, Titanex V80, 40 short radials.  15m setup - FT1000MP,
LPT&ETM9C Keying, ETO91b, H/B 1/4wave vert (made from an 11m 1/2wave!)

Thanks to Bob GM4UYZ, Cambell MM0DXC, and Duncan MM3UQN who all helped in
one way or more to ensure Jonathan and myself made it on air.

73
John MM0CCC

------------------------------
Call: GM5A
Operator(s): MM0CCC
Class: SOSB(A)/80 HP
QTH: IO85SX
Operating Time (hrs): 32
   80: 1503    29      102     Total Score = 313,060

Club: Cockenzie & Port Seton ARC/GMDX Group

Call: GM2T
Operator(s): M5FUN
Station: GM2T
Class: SOSB(A)/15 HP