[UK-CONTEST] SHORT CONTEST CALLS

Ed - GW3SQX g3sqx at edtaylor.org
Fri Nov 30 08:07:15 EST 2007

I would have no hesitation in changing my call.  It's not my identity, it's
just a series of letters and numbers telling people roughly where I am.
That being said, I can see that others might feel differently, and don't see
any reason why those who want to shouldn't have an additional callsign if
they want it.  It also seems odd to me that the SCC system only applies to
contests, and only to clubs.  Why not allocate to anyone who wants one, and
for use at any time?

Anyway, if you have nothing better to do, you can look at the proposal that
Bob Whelan and I made in 2002 -- see
www.qsl.net/n0ed/vanity.doc

This idea has been floating around for many years, and I vote for an
emphatic "YES".

73,

Ed, GW3SQX