[UK-CONTEST] CC Rule Change

don.field at gmail.com don.field at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 07:38:03 EDT 2008

Graham & Neil's postings show the fine line that we have to follow within
the Contest Committee. Graham argues that we should not have extended the
data modes band upwards as we might upset users of other modes. Neil and
his colleagues in DMUARS applaud the increase in band and argue that we
therefore don't need to place so much emphasis on PSK. So a "no win"
situation.

Arguing (albeit tongue in cheek) that we should perhaps outlaw SSB because
CW is more efficient is to miss the point completely. IARU bandplans
allocate much more bandwidth for other modes but have failed to keep up
with the explosion in data modes usage. The 80m CC datamodes events are a
victim of their own success! It's great that so many have tried RTTY for
the first time, but where do we go from here?

The Contest Committee debated this at some length at our last meeting. You
may not agree with our conclusions but referenda are out or nothing would
ever happen in terms of new events, changed events, etc!! For national
events we have some flexibility with the recommended IARU bandplans but
didn't want to push things too far. We also had to bear in mind the raison
d'etre behind the 80m CC events which is to encourage newcomers to
contesting and to encourage old hands to try something new to help out
their local clubs. What we don't want is for them to become "just another
contest" with the big guns joining forces to wipe the floor with local
clubs. That would be to defeat the object and would risk discouraging the
very folk for whom the contests were intended. There are already plenty of
contests for the "big guns".

So what to do about datamodes? Those who now have a taste for RTTY
contesting might like to try some serious RTTY contests. RSGB has not
traditionally organised such events, as BARTG has historically done a great
job. Have a go in one of their contests. But we did think that maybe we
could encourage folk to try PSK - it is much more bandwidth efficient (RTTY
is a VERY old mode indeed!) and therefore consistent with
"self-improvement" and efficient use of our frequencies. Arguing about what
filter bandwidth to use shows a lack of understanding of PSK operating (so
it's time to have a try!). All the PSK programs I have seen (and most RTTY
ones these days) are best used with your SSB filter. You then get a
spectral display and click on the signal you want to copy. All the
filtering is done in your sound card. A quick look at spectral displays for
RTTY and PSK shows immediately that two-tone RTTY takes up significantly
more band than one-tone PSK. I suspect very few people use FSK nowadays -
the majority use a  sound card and use one of the multimode programs that
can do RTTY one minute, PSK the next and so on.

I think the only alternative to the decision we made would have been to
drop the RTTY events completely. There are those who argue that we should -
datamodes isn't proper amateur radio and all that. But personally I think
that would be a pity. Anyway. let's see how things work out during 2009
rather than die in a ditch over it. We can then review.

Don Field G3XTT

Chairman of Contest Committee