[UK-CONTEST] Asus eee PC

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 8 12:36:46 EDT 2008

Thanks to all who replied privately and also on this list.

I have now changed my standard desktop machine to Ubuntu Linux, so that
holds no terror for me. However, and sadly my favourite contest logger,
viz N1MM, will not run under Linux, and there is no likelihood of it so
doing in the foreseeable future. Thus I have to maintain a dual boot
system and revert to Win XP for contests. Even if N1MM did run under
Linux, the software for the microHam devices will not, and the
manufacturers are unwilling to devote resources to porting it as " the
user base is insufficient". In my case the mH MK2R+ and N1MM are
inextricably linked.

Moving the goalposts slightly, or at least widening them, may I suggest
that the Linux freaks amongst us exert pressure upon the hardware and
software vendors/providers to engineer support for Linux in their
products. In that case we could use an eee PC without modification or
additions.

Full marks to Paul/EI5DI btw for his foresight in so doing with SD.

73

Clive
GW3NJW