[UK-CONTEST] Product Review

Justin Snow justin at g4tsh.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 26 16:16:55 EDT 2008

G3RIR wrote:
> At present, I am struggling to obtain a decent recoding of my CQ in my
> laptop using audacity. There are various weird noises in the background
> (-30dB at a guess) which I would like to remove. I wonder if an outboard
> equalizer would be a useful adjunct.

Have you tried audio isolation transformers?
I too have had issues, especially with laptops, of what I can only
assume are ground loops.  Noise generated by the switch mode PSU was
getting into the audio recording.  When the laptop was just run of
batteries the noise went away completely.
The addition of an audio isolation transformer(s) on the mic port of the
sound card also cured the problem.

Justin
G4TSH