[UK-CONTEST] CQWW

Danny Higgins danny.higgins at keme.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 18:39:47 EST 2008

This year I decided to have a bit of a go to try out the "new" station
under contest conditions.  I was cutting things a bit fine - I only had
the first QSO with the rig the week before, and on the Friday morning I
had no antennas up and the contest logging software wasn't working.  I
abandonned any hope of getting SD to work (CW keying was erratic and
slow) and downloaded N1MM.  It worked straight away, but it was all new
to me.  I had a quick look at the manual (405 pages!) and configured it
for the minimum I needed for CQWW.  I was very impressed with the ESM
(Enter Sends Message) function.

I decided that it would be best to stick to one band and 40M offered the
best chance of DX with a dipole at 35 feet.  I stayed up all night on
the Friday doing S&P and looking mainly for multipliers.  I had a social
break in the morning and then a few more hours on the key in the
afternoon and evening.  I eventually got to bed at 22:30 and I was not
inclined to move from the horizontally polarised position to the
vertically polarised position too early on Sunday.  I operated Sunday
from afternoon until the end of the contest.  My first target was 100
countries, which I passed at Sunday lunchtime.  I then tried working
everything I could find to make 400 QSOs and 100,000 points, which I
managed around 23:30.  The final tally was 408 QSOs, 109 countries, 29
zones and 101,700 points.  I got one new DXCC (FJ) and 12 new bands
slots for 40M CW.

Equipment:  Racal RA3702 dual HF RX, MA3752/TA3762 solid state 250W TX
with homebrew SO2R controller

Antenna: 40M dipole up 35 feet

Danny, G3XVR