[UK-CONTEST] ARS 144mhz

Alex GM3ZBE alex at gm3zbe.plus.com
Mon Dec 8 07:06:39 EST 2008

Hi
I've recently installed a basic 2M setup after many years absence from
VHF (7ele at 20ft and 20W from an IC706).
I have to say I have been somewhat surprised at the way 2M CW/SSB DX
activity  has plummeted, I hardly hear any, even in the contest there
was just a handful of stations.  I've not operated seriously on 2M from
Scotland since I moved from near Aberdeen to Oxford in 1988 but activity
then was extremely good from the East coast of Scotland.  What on earth
has happened?  I'm going to leave the 2M beam up for a while but it
looks like it is hardly worth the effort?

 I was easily able to work Paul G4RRA with my modest setup so condx must
have been there.  I have to admit the GB3VHF beacon was inaudible
though, I normally just hear it in the noise.

Alex, GM3ZBE