[UK-CONTEST] Deaf 756 pro III

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 9 13:03:03 EST 2008

Hi again Marios

I'm not sure what you mean by

<<

I plugged the antenna directly still same
problem.

There are only two SO239 sockets on the back panel, one for ANT1 and
t'other for ANT2, so how else could you connect the antenna other than
directly?

When pressing the ANT1/2 switch at the top left of the display screen
there should be a faint click as this is relay controlled. If not, this
might be a clue.

When I switch from ANT1 to ANT2 (even on say a dead 14Mhz band this
evening)  the white noise drops perhaps 10dB and the rx indeed sounds
stone deaf, because there is no antenna connected to that SO239 socket.
This may seem soooooh obvious, but I've found that  in such situations
that I make really stupid mistakes and ignore the glaringly obvious  (
I've been nominated for a UNICEF award for ignoring the obvious ;-) ).
This is sooooh obvious, but how do you know that the antenna you have
plugged is indeed viable; iow could it be dissed at the connector or
wherever. When you plug the identical antenna in to another rx, are
things normal? Even 10ft of wire plugged in should generate some white
noise on an LF band; does it? Is your rx deaf or is your antenna gone to
the tuning range in the sky.

I run a pair of PRO3s here, and-shock, horror- I have transmitted on the
same band a couple of times, without ill effect; iow the rig is not that
fragile.

Sorry if any of this sounds condescending but it's worth the risk.

73

Clive
GW3NJW