[UK-CONTEST] GI0RTN - IRTS 80m

Gerard Lynch gerrylynch at freenetname.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 18:07:45 EST 2008

Another New Year, another 80m IRTS
contest.  After losing both the contest and the
high QSO total last year by a whisker, I was
determined not to make the same mistake this
time.  To that end, I ‘gently persuaded’ GI3PDN
to let me run his amplifier.  We couldn’t get it
going on both CW and SSB without undue hassle, so
I decided to run it on SSB and assumed 100 Watts would be plenty on CW.

This contest attracts people who never go near
contests otherwise, and who often just want to
bring in the New Year with their mates on the
air, which is part of its charm.  Obviously, I
take a slightly more competitive approach

Enormous fun as always, and as always I cannot
thank Ray and Margaret enough for hospitality beyond the call of any duty.

Final score: 177 QSOs, including 2 logged dupes
for 175 real contacts, 30 Counties, final claimed
score of 13,440  A massive 70% increase in total
QSOs this year, but the score increase is more modest, at just shy of 50%

SSB QSOs: IR 85 (+18) DX 71 (+51)
CW QSOs: IR 6 (-4) DX 13 (+6)

Irish CW QSOs actually down this year, of which more later

Half hour rates of 55/24/19/28/23/26

Missing mults: Kilkenny and Kildare.  With 27
counties in the first hour I thought I might be
on for the sweep but it wasn’t to be.  Kilkenny
is the sort of place that one might well miss
although it isn’t Leitrim or Longford
either.  But what happened to Kildare, the Patio
of Ireland, which must have the 7th or 8th
largest population of the 32 counties these
days?  Where was that evil fiend EI9JF, one of
the biggest signals from EI on any HF
band?  Having done IOTA with him, he was
suffering from an excess of Mickey Finns the previous night, I’d bet.

Hangover factor: 9/10.  I had a good New Years
Eve.  I spent the evening drinking Blackjacks in
a friends house in Bangor with a small gathering
of 20 or so.  Stiff Little Fingers and The
Ramones were also played at some point in the
evening.  Blackjacks are very tasty going down,
but a *very bad idea indeed* the next day if
you’ve had too many.  I was awakened at 12.30 pm,
having slept through my alarm, by GI3PDN ringing
to let me know he was back from his inlaws’ in
Derry if I wanted to come round.  This is when I
discovered the true meaning of the phrase
“horrors of drink”.  I thought, “Oh keek, there’s
a contest in 90 minutes, I’m still drunk from
last night and when I stop being drunk, I’m going
to feel *very* ill indeed, I need to get washed,
dressed and find a taxi.”  I’m still recovering today.

With a start time two hours later than in
previous years, the character of this contest was
profoundly different than in the past.  Mostly,
this was a good thing, but it wasn’t entirely so, as Ill discuss below.

THE GOOD: LATER STARTING TIME

QSO totals for the leading stations seem to be
*massively* up on previous years.  Like
60-70%.  This is a good thing as it avoids the
doldrums that traditionally curse the latter
stages of the contest.  170 QSOs in three hours
is still not exactly a frenetic pace, but it’s
steady.  We had propagation deep into Britain
from the get go, and the first DL went in the log
here at 1500Z, sunset at 1609Z.  A succession of
Gs, DLs and near continentals kept the scoreboard
ticking over nicely in the last hour.  This is
good.  With 30 counties worked here, the extra Eu
activity seemed to be bringing out more Irish
activity as well.  I was sceptical that the time
change would change the character of the contest
profoundly, and although it *did* change it
dramatically, it did so for the better.

Profound thanks go from me to all the stations in
Britain and the Continent who gave us such sterling support.

THE BAD: CW

The downside was, for me, the lack of CW
activity.  Having been bitten in previous years
for going to CW too early, I left it to the last
hour this time.  That may have been a mistake,
but activity was really thin.  With GIs still
pounding in at S9+, it didn’t feel like a skip
zone had emerged by the end of the contest (one
of my worries beforehand) so that couldn’t have
been the problem.  Felt sorry for G4FKA and
GW3NJW banging away forlornly at the bottom of
the band for ages.  I thought I might get a nice
Eu run going after sunset (usually easy with a GI
call at any time), but I didn’t.  This despite
hearing that V7 with a small Eu pileup at a good
569, so there was obviously some decent
propagation!  With so much activity from G and DL
casuals, it now doesn’t seem to make sense to
spend too long running CW in this contest, and
there is a need for some urgent rebalancing.  CW
QSOs should either count double (as in, e.g.,
ARRL 10m), or multipliers should count once on each mode.

I’ve seen Clive’s comment on the list (and BUO’s
to me privately) that there should be a CW only
section in this contest.  I am not opposed in
principle but at present there isn’t enough Irish activity on CW to support it.

THE UGLY: DK3XY, “DER SHERIFF VON 80 METER”

The other downside with the later start time is
that rather than being a private little contest
for us GIs and EIs, that no-one east of Bristol
notices until the last half-hour, the rest of
Europe now notices a lot.  Actually, a lot of the
DLs, especially the lower license class-holders,
seemed to be having a lot of fun chasing all
these odd Irish counties, but there’s always one
muppet at any party, and on 80 metres, that
muppet is usually called DK3XY.  About
half-an-hour before the end of the contest, DK3XY
pops up on 3697 where I am happily and
productively CQing to an audience of DOs and M3s
and tells me that this is a contest free segment
according to IARU regulations.  I reply in my
best German that the band plan is merely “eine
Empfehlung” for frequencies where contests were
“bevorzugt” rather than “gepflichtet”, and
adherence to it is neither in the rules of the
contest nor in my licence regulations, and
requesting that he QSY.  We then had a childish
and unproductive argument where he continued
repeating his long screed without a break (in
English) and I threatened to report him to the
German PTT for deliberately QRMing me (in
German).  I lost about six minutes by the time I
found another spot that wasn’t possessed by
jealous SSTVers, as well as losing a great run
frequency and my temper (too shaking with rage to
send CW properly!!!)  Brief googling indicates
that DK3XY seems to suffer from "Acute M0TKO
Syndrome" (i.e. the delusion that a particular
frequency on 80 SSB belongs to him), and, you’ve
guessed it, the frequency is outside the phone contest preferred segment.

If this contest stays at the later time slot then
the IRTS may need to look at restricting its
frequency range on SSB *but* the current IARU
Region 1 recommended contest window on 80 is
completely detached from the realities of
operating on the band.  3775-3800 is the province
of intercontinental QSOs; 3730-3740 is supposed
to be for the SSTV and Fax fans.  If Region 1
wants to recommend that SSB contests are
restricted to 125 kHz of the band, then 3600-3725
makes a lot more sense than the current Balkanised allocation.

GERRY IS CONTROVERSIAL

And all these things ought to be subject to a bit
of common sense, allowing national contest
organisers to come up with the bespoke solutions
that fit the pattern of band usage in their
country and neighbouring ones (I really doubt the
issues of sharing 80 are the same in South Africa
or Mongolia as they are in Western Europe).  The
problem is that people like DK3XY are the amateur
radio equivalent of the twitching curtain
brigade.  Common sense would threaten their
ability to act superiori by telling other naughty
amateurs off for not heeding what is a
recommendation for a preference.  The "contest
preferred segment" recommendation gives them a
high horse to bounce along on, blithely ignoring
both the meanings of the words "preferred" and
"recommendation" and the fact that intentional
QRM is in breach of the terms of any amateur licence I've ever seen.

Personally, I am in favour of junking the Region
1 recommendation, which only fuels the
self-righteous posturing of twits, and is
worthless in major international contests anyway,
and instead encouraging national societies to put
some sort of frequency limit on contests on a case by case basis.

MY MISTAKE: NOT MOVING PEOPLE

After last year’s contest, I told myself I would
make out a list of people who I knew operated CW
and ask them to move.  Of course, I didn’t
actually do that looking through my log, I
realise that I failed to make CW QSOs with EI5FK,
EI2CA, EI8IU and GI0RQK (all of 5 miles away):
480 easy points down the jacksie just for
starters.  The only station I moved to CW was
GI4NKB as I doubted he’d be about for long.

When the contest finished I was convinced I had
walked it but am now not so sure.  If I lose
this, it will be the lack of Irish CW QSOs that
kill me by dragging my points/QSO down (last
year, it was the Irish SSB QSOs that did for
me!).  Anyway, another one for the to do list for next year...

Still and all, a great time was had by me and
thanks again to the folks at the IRTS for organising it.

But if I haven't won this one after a score that
obliterates all previous records, I’m gonna
thcweam and thcweam and thcweam until I'm
thick!  I just have this nasty feeling that all
those 1 pointers and my lack of persistence on CW is going to cost me.

73

Gerry GI0RTN
http://www.gerrylynch.co.uk