[UK-CONTEST] AFSCW GW8IZR

Paul_group paul_group at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 04:25:57 EST 2008

I just about recover from Xmas and get back into the swing of QRL when
AFS comes along.

As my little weather computer thing ominously bleeped 40% chance of
strong winds I watched my dustbin flying down the garden toward the dog.
He presumably thought it was a new toy as he spent the next ten minutes
dragging it round the field.

I thought to myself, I'm going to need a coat.

In incredibly high winds I tied the end of my dipole to mast #2 at the
bottom of the field, yes I did get blown around, yes I did need my
harness, yes I was giggling uncontrollably in the rain about how
embarrassing it would be at QRL if I fell off this little mast.

Anyway, not an earth shattering score but this was a good event for me,
the score is up on last year by a fair amount and I managed to run until
*I* decided not to, rather than the usual having to move :-)

Nothing broke except the back of the chair, actually it broke a few
weeks ago and my temporary repair broke.. and I managed to press most of
the keys at around about the right time.

Not much in the way of QRM apart from what sounded like some SSB but
that wasn't a problem in a narrow filter.. heard a G4 running a few
hundred Hz HF of me for most of the event, didn't cause any problems
here and he didn't move so I guess there wasn't a problem.

Bit of none UK stuff LA/LY/F/DL/EI which was really nice to get.

N1MM in ESM worked without a hitch, yep ESM never once got out of shape
this time! of course N1MM's ESM hasn't changed so I guess it always was
my fault :-)

The hours of time with Rufz and morserunner seemed to have paid off.
Whatever amount of practice I do I still struggle if more than one
station calls at a time - sorry I suppose I just need to keep at it.

In the end, 223 with three dupes less the inevitable errors. Broke out
per hour at 69/57/53/41 with the last 40 mins S&P

Thanks for all of the QSO's and especially the fills as needed.

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI
http://www.gw8izr.com