[UK-CONTEST] AFS SSB - G3BJ

Don Beattie g3ozf at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 19 13:20:14 EST 2008

Rather better fun than last week, although I had the pleasure of a jammer for about 20 minutes. Kept the antenna down again at 55 ft, and this time it seemed to work OK.

Managed to use SO2R to a limited extent, which made quite a difference. But I need to move the rx antenna a lot further away. Could not get closer than 30 kHz to my own signal.

Conditions seemed good, with brisk rates most of the time and a good level of activity. A lot of Europeans, and apparently at least three contests running - AFS, and HA one where the exchange was an area code and an Eastern European one with serial numbers (at least I assume Russian stations would not have worked 150 G's in AFS !). Most puzzling was a serial number from a G station seven minutes into the contest of 45 !

473 QSOs here, no dupes.

Thanks for all the contacts.

73

Don, G3BJ