[UK-CONTEST] Polling noise on transmit

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 22 17:17:54 EST 2008

Having sorted out the reason why my DVK wouldn't work, it was an open
circuit feature in a cable between mHam Keyer and PC sound card, I would
like to pursue another problem.

mHam Keyer, ie with DVK switching between radio and PC. There are
several connections from the large D connector which go into the radio -
Serial interface, +12v, Key, radio mic and PTT. There are also 3 single
screened cables to the sound card - Line In, Line Out and Mic (the
problem one above, now fixed.) Finally the USB cable to the PC.

When I transmit. ie hold footswitch down, I can hear a background
ticking noise, it is also audible on recorded messages. I never really
found what it was until Don G3BJ suggested it could be noise generated
by the radio polling. Sure enough the ticking frequency correlates
exactly with the FT1kMP polling indicator flashing. It was lso audible
on Don's setup using the EZMaster SO2R unit with integral soundcard.
Removing the USB connector and thereby turning the mHam keyer unit off
removes the noise completely.

We came to the conclusion it is some kind of cross-talk between audio
and polling but not sure where to go from there. Has anyone got any
thoughts?

Chris G3SJJ