[UK-CONTEST] AFS SB G3SJJ

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 19 16:40:47 EST 2008

Well, in keeping with my normal performance in the SSB leg, I can again
claim not be in the top few. I have scored 366 and no passes (dupes!)
Hourly rate 164, 94, 62, 46. An excellent first hour despite a very wide
signal just HF of me, some jamming occasionally in the form of a carrier
but no real problem. Two excuses, firstly antenna height which I
mentioned last week, and secondly, I could not get the DVK working.
Correct indication in the N1MM QSO Entry field, ie indicated when I was
recording and to what Folder it was saving, then indicated what message
was being played and from where. Seems somewhere in the routeing of the
audio. Since this was my first outing at all on SSB for 2.5 months I
guess some problem was to be expected. 700+ CW Qs don't really help!

Amazing number of Novice licence callers. Why aren't these guys on CW!
Skip lengthened towards the end and a lot of Eu callers. I was switching
between the dipole and the 70ft vertical, since splatter from UK was
reduced on the vertical and also many UAs etc were better. Stayed on
3641, but used SO2V to pick up quite a lot of Qs on the sub VFO.

Well that's AFS done and dusted for this year.  Chris G3SJJ