[UK-CONTEST] AFS SSB G0AAA

Ian G3WVG g3wvg at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 20 08:07:01 EST 2008

Hiya Guys ..

Well, I thought it had had gone well until I read the report from G3BJ.
Don, a great score, it must be an all time record for AFS.

My score was up on 2007 by around 30 QSOs.  The station was the same, but
I've improved the antenna.  The centre is still at 65ft but the ends are
higher than before. One end is at 65ft and the other at around 45ft.
I also experimented with a ""short beverage"" with it's back to Europe to
try cut down the QRM ..fairly counter-productive as it happens , since many
QSOs came from there!

In Surrey, the band changed twice, quite dramatically. Firstly at 1630
(sunset obviously) when longer haul Europeans appeared and then again at
about 35 mins before the end when virtually all UK stations disappeared into
the noise.

A vertical or inverted L would have been useful for the EU stuff.  Perhaps
next year I'll do away with the ""beverage idea"" and put up a butternut or
something like that.

No jammers this year.. According to my log thelongest spell without a QSO
was 6 mins ...but felt much much longer.

Hourly totals inc dupes.  181/88/81/76.
Total Claimed QSOs.. 421.

73 Ian G3WVG (op. G0AAA)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.