[UK-CONTEST] Rule enforcement

Donald Field donaldfield at gmx.com
Wed Jul 2 15:38:22 EDT 2008

It's gone quiet since the early responses to Richard G3CWI's posting, so I
would just offer a couple of notes, lest it be thought the Contest
Committee is not serious about rule enforcement.

1. Bandplan enforcement: I am constantly impressed by the way that UK
contesters adhere to the bandplans set out in the contest rules, for
example the somewhat irritating "gap" on 80m SSB (to conform with IARU
guidelines), even when the allowed band is pretty crowded. But
infringements, whether accidental or deliberate, do occur and when we have
evidence to this effect we do penalise - there have been several such
instances during this year's CC events, for example, of which the
"culprits" will be aware!! With the IOTA  contest coming up, I should also
mention that, last year, infringements were clearly listed in the
Adjudication Reports (our equivalent of UBN) but not penalised. However,
the email to entrants made it clear that in 2008 we will not be so lenient.

2. Bad Signals: VHF contesters will be well aware that one team was
recently disqualified for consistently poor signal quality. Again, we
endeavour to ensure that reports of bad signals are not due to poor
receivers or mischief-making by other competitors, but we do what we can to
obtain "hard" evidence.

Having made those points, I tend to agree with those who pointed out that
most complaints about contesting rest not on infringements of the type
listed above, but simply on contests filling the bands at weekends. I see
no solution to that - every time a contest is dropped, it seems that
someone organises another one to fill its place. And many of the recent
events (Russian DX, EU Sprint) are run by special-interest groups, not IARU
societies, so the only thing that would stop them would be lack of
interest. As it is, interest levels remain high, so maybe the detractors
should join in and see what the fun is about!

Don G3XTT

Contest Committee Chairman