[UK-CONTEST] Contesting + support

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Thu Jul 17 17:39:15 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Also pleased to see some newer folk to contesting appearing on this
list and making contributions.  It's great to hear about their
enthusiasm and new found interest in contesting.

Personally, I get involved with a wide range of contest groups, some
of which play for fun and to beat last year's score and others which
aim to win at all costs.

I have recounted before that at the Harwich Amateur Radio Interest
Group (HARIG) we have typically run contest events generally so that
people can get acquainted with this aspect of the hobby.  We are a
small group of no more than 20 members and so there is only a small
core group who are keen contesters, but it does provide a relaxed
environment in which the basic skills can be practised.

It became obvious that actually the contest interest is a rather
polarised segment in many groups, and so we have been trying to
organise collaborative contest efforts between a whole load of clubs
in the local area.  HARIG now regularly joins with Ipswich,
Colchester and folk from other clubs (e.g. Sudbury, Felixstowe, etc)
to do larger events.  Colchester Club already has a Contest Group
segment which has won VHF NFD for  4 years running now and yet this
year I spent a good amount of time with a new M3 who had shown
interest and came along, giving him his first chance to run a FD
station on 70cms, but with the safety net of an experienced person
sitting alongside, explaining some of the intricacies.

Also for some years now, having recognised that the Colchester Radio
Rally (one of the few significant rallies that is still going strong)
is organised each year on the same weekend as the IOTA contest, we
have set up an IOTA contest station on the same site and encouraged
club members and rally visitors alike to visit the station and see
what a contest station set up is like.   Again, we don't expect to be
competitive but it doesn't stop us putting on a decent station and
some running some social activities on the Saturday evening.  It has
brought a number of new folk into the group that enjoys contesting.
And we have fun which is the key thing!   Please work us M5C this
year (previously M4U).

Aside from the above, in the weeks in between VHF NFD and IOTA I was
part of the GB7HQ team for the IARU HF championship contest.  So I
just think it needs some flexibility by those that know how to assist
with those that don't.  I am amazed how far folk will come to get
involved with our smaller informal contest efforts - its sort of like
Roger said about the contest clubs - except we have found we dont
have or need the formality of the groups!   We just invite those from
other clubs in the area to get involved with less high pressure
contest events.

Like many groups, however, we have found it increasingly difficult to
find enough operators to do HF CW NFD and have now stopped
participating in this event.  I fear that the number of competent CW
contest operators in 10 years time will be such that it will be very
difficult to run many CW contests - something I would be sad to see.

73,
Jonathan G0DVJ
active with contest groups:
  M4U, G0RGH, G4IRC/p, M5C, G0VHF/p, M1CRO, M6T, G0KPW, GB5HQ, GB7HQ,
3Z0I/1, SQ6W,...