[UK-CONTEST] IOTA activation and google maps

Marios Nicolaou drmarios at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:40:30 EDT 2008

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your comments.

> My last entry two years ago was from the QTH of Bob, 5B4AGN, and I assume
> this is the QTH shown on the Google Earth view that comes up on the Log
> Activation page. I needed to update this to my own QTH and failed miserably.
> One is supposed to drag the flag to the right place, but I found it
> extremely timeconsuming to find my QTH on the view provided. In fact I
> failed. It would be so easy if one could just type in the coordinates or use
> the Google Earth Goto Box (ie Psathi, Paphos), which would place the flag
> within 100m of my QTH, and the rest would be easy. I have copied this to
> Don, G3XTT in the hope that next year this will be improved. In the
> meantime, my entry shows the QTH of 5B4AGN, as I couldn't see a way to
> delete the flag either.
>
> In an effort to minimise the effort required by participants we use the
previous year's coordinates to predict the QTH. In the vast majority of
cases this is static. The way to change the QTH is to firstly zoom out using
the zoom controls on the map then click on the approximate position of your
new QTH then zoom in and fine tune. Each time you click on the map, the
"flag/aerial" is repositioned at the pointer position.

 We have taken your suggestions on-board and will consider implementing them
for next year (time allowing)!

Best regards

Marios
5B4WN/G0WWW