[UK-CONTEST] All Hot and Bothered - the exploits of G6YB/P in NFD 2008

g4fka at aol.com g4fka at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 14:45:07 EDT 2008

Ooooh aaar - NFD 2008. One that will go down in the Brizzle Contest Group
historical records but not quite in the way we intended.

The theory was simple enough. Restricted section, simple station, lots of
operators, same "theme on a long doublet" as we wielded to success in SSB FD
last year, set it all up and take it all down in a few hours and the  prospect
of a sunny weekend. What could possibly go wrong?

First the operators started disappearing; family commitments, Sunday
working, BBQs and the like all came along to hack away at the operating  rota. Then
we got the "shack" (imagine a horse-box for humans) onto site only to  find
that the keys had been left back at home. Cue the first of many "go and  fetch
it" journeys over the weekend. Ready for more? Our lovely new generator  decided
2 hours and 5 minutes before the start to come to an abrupt halt. Lots  of
attempts to start it failed so "go and fetch it" team No 2 was  dispatched to
get our spare whilst the "G" (for generator) team got to work  on the failed
one. Fortunately it started again 8 minutes before the start  and ran faultlessly
throughout.

Hmm what happened next?  Oh yes the auto-ATU at the centre of our wire
masterpiece decided it had had enough and its little relays went very silent. So
the "T" (for Tuner) team went into action at the same time as the "G" team were
 still hard at it. Not to be beaten by the generator the fault (a broken
power wire) was eventually found and the ATU started working again 4  minutes
before the start.

There can't be any more I hear you ask? Oh yes there can. With all the G, T
and Go and Fetch it going on, no-one had got the station or logging up and
running. So at 1500z with all the other groups busy making QSOs we entered the
"horse box for humans" with nothing operating and began to set up the station.
 New logging software and new switching arrangements (de-risking for IOTA so
we  thought) all conspired to make our lives as miserable as they could  and
it was over 30 minutes into the event before the first Qs went in the log.
System integration continued apace and it was probably two hours after the  start
that the station was sufficiently stable to start actually working  the
contest proper. However the switching and logging caused grief throughout  and we
were never quite sure what messages the log was going to send. Something  else
to be resolved before IOTA.

The antenna never lived up to the promise of last September and we  could see
our totals slowly but surely dropping behind the usual suspects. Still  we
soldiered on through the night, all went tolerably well and a song-thrush in
one of the trees kept us in musical entertainment all weekend.

One final excitement to finish on. Sunday afternoon came, all was  ticking
along nicely and we'd finally got into the rhythm of it all. One of the
benefits of our site is the views. Being near Bristol also means it is a major
centre of balloon activity and we always see lots going up and occasionally  coming
down. What we weren't prepared for was the sight of a rather large  balloon,
pilot and 16 passengers looming over the western slope rather  close to the
antennas, station, us and everything else. They managed to miss one  leg of the
antenna by not a lot and landed successfully in the field. The  recovery team
couldn't find the site, so yes you've guessed by now, we had to go  and fetch
them as well!

Conclusion? QSO total dreadful. Complete antenna re-think for next year.
Poor overnight team shattered. Logging and switching needs sorting. Still lots
to do before IOTA. Worst NFD result for years. But, hey, we had that sunny
weekend!

Geoff G4FKA @ G6YB/P