[UK-CONTEST] Encouraging Contesting

Richard Newstead g3cwi at btconnect.com
Sun Jun 29 18:49:04 EDT 2008

A recurring theme in this group is "how to encourage contesting?". Perhaps
one way is to improve the way in which contests are reported in the UK? I
have been reading the ARRL's reports on a minority contest recently and
have been impressed by the inspirational quality of the writing.

Check out:

http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/99/10ghz.pdf

and

http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/2004/10GHz.pdf (change year to pick
up more recent commentaries - they are all good)

These are well-written, inspirational pieces, carefully designed to
encourage contesting. I can recall nothing of similar quality here in the
UK.

Amateur radio should be exciting, and contesting should be especially so -
and yet so many contest reports here are dull, often poorly written,
factual accounts.

How could we raise the standards?

73

Richard