[UK-CONTEST] Encouraging Contesting

Darrell G0HVQ g0hvq at talktalk.net
Mon Jun 30 04:24:20 EDT 2008

Richard

You've hit the nail on the head - for me anyway.

Many years ago, I got inspired to try contesting after picking up a couple
of US ham publications on holiday and reading them on the beach. As you say,
it came across as exciting.

Generally though, I think the US publications are much more positive in
their approach to amateur radio than the UK press, both Radcom and PW come
across (to me anyway) as pretty negative at times, as though we're fighting
a losing battle against time. How about some good news stories e.g. 'TXF
jetting off round the world on a regular basis giving us all those new
countries.

I think part of the problem is trying to be too factual - the US mags give
you more of a flavour of the event e.g. for Field Day, they publish recipes
(a bit corny), lots of photos, stuff about the preparation and team, etc. As
we all know, it's not just turning on the radio, doing the contest, then
switching off....it's all in the preparation and organisation. How about
sharing some lessons learned - contesters tend to be at the peak of the
hobby, so what may seem obvious to us may not be obvious to the general
radio community.

Just my thoughts

73
Darrell G0HVQ