[UK-CONTEST] How many people go contesting?

Roger G3SXW g3sxw at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 30 16:36:28 EDT 2008

Bob,
We have many sub-hobbies so I believe that it is *relative* size of
population rather than actual size which matters. In other words there are x
times more contesters than ATVers, y times more than ARDFers, etc. I think
we all know that contesters are one of the biggest on-air sub-groups.

I doubt that there is any way to make valid quantifications. If all RSGB
contest logs could be dumped into one central data-base then you could see
how many unique call-signs are present. The adjudicators would have to
remove Busted calls first, and presumably single instances might be
discounted, only designating a contester as such if he joins in (makes QSOs,
not sends in logs) say minimum three contests per year.

Just for comparison CQ World-Wide attracts some 30,000 different contesters
to join in on the air each year (both modes, but with Busted calls removed).
Cheers - 73 de Roger/G3SXW.