[UK-CONTEST] Wire antennas slung over trees

David Ferrington, M0XDF M0XDF at Alphadene.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 04:04:30 EST 2008

I have 2 Redwoods in the back garden, one ~ 130ft tall and the other ~
100ft. I had a tree climber (tree surgeon) climb the shorter one (its
further away) to about 6ft from the top and drop a Kevlar halyard straight
down inside the branches, the other end he threw beyond the canopy (weighted
by a karabiner). I joined the ends (making a loop), and fitted an insulator
there. I pull the wire up the outside using the 'inside' halyard to pull up,
the 'outside' halyard is used to pull it down again if the wire breaks etc.

Redwoods flex a lot in the wind (especially at the top :-), probably a total
sway of 12 - 16 ft, I allowed for this by putting a pulley system with
counter weight at the chimney end (more Kevlar and insulator).

This means it's ~ 32m of 16/0.2 stranded, slopper 8m to 30m.

And yes, its fed at the chimney end - a mistake, since I get a lot of RFI
(the SGC fed from ground level, the wire runs up the outside of the house to
the chimney, right past the shack). I'm going to switch the fed point to the
tree (its an SGC) and take the wire up the outside halyard and back to the
chimney (and stop there). That will almost double the length and move the
current point to about as far away from the house as I can get it and also
be equidistant from neighbours.

All this in a 75ft long garden in Bracknell - urban or what?

--
Our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the
young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is the way