[UK-CONTEST] Wire antennas slung over trees

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 05:51:39 EST 2008

I've done a similar job with my Sequoias (another name for Redwoods?),
except I had the climber tie a short fixed rope to the trunk near the top.
This carries a substantial pulley to support the running line, which is
deployed exactly as David has described and prevents the rope working
against the tree, also allowing the counterweight to be placed at the tree
end (on the "inside" section).  A couple of advantage pulleys reduce the
range of movement of the counterwight in high winds.  Being fairly near the
ground these are easy to service/replace.

This arrangement will last a very long time if you take note of the
following:

*  Don't economise on the quality of the top pulley (a decent SS pulley is a
lot cheaper than the tree-surgeon)

*  Make the sheave oversized so that the running line can be replaced
without climbing the tree again

*  Give an occasional tug to the counterweight if there hasn't been a blow
for a while to clear any debris in the pulleys before it becomes embedded in
resin

*  Inspect the running line every couple of  years and replace it before the
inevitable happens

Bare 7/029 (or equivalent) BeCu or CdCu wire is hard to beat for the wire
itself, but is quite heavy in long lengths so a substantial log is needed
for the counterweight!  I installed a rhombic using this material down in
VP8 land in '62 that was reported as being still in good condition when it
was taken down (for "green" reasons) nearly 25 years later.

Good luck to all in BERU!

73, Peter G3LET