[UK-CONTEST] CC CW G3TBK

Dave Cree daveg3tbk at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 09:39:12 EDT 2008

I arrived home from my J88DR trip just in time for the Club CW Contest.

The gales had caused some minor damage to my tower and one of the
beams,  as well as snapping the fibreglass pole which extends the stub
mast to support the 80/160m antennas. The 80m dipole was wrapped around
various beam elements.
 I had to use the couple of hours of daylight left when I returned to
lower the tower, remove the beams and crank it back up with an 80m
dipole at 55 feet.

Conditions seemed very good for the first hour, when I worked 100, but
then there was a very rapid deterioration, and I only managed another 19
valid Q's in the last 30 minutes. Relatively close stations in Leicester
and Grimsby, (G3ORY and G3RSD) were very weak when worked near the end.

I was half asleep on the keyboard so apologies for hitting the wrong "F"
keys a couple of times - I hadn't got much kip on the flight home. I had
been travelling for 16 hours due to poor flight connections, so the
enforced antenna work was most unwelcome!

73 Dave