[UK-CONTEST] RSGB 80M CC Data Contests

g4fka at aol.com g4fka at aol.com
Thu May 1 16:05:18 EDT 2008

The contests have certainly been successful in bring a whole new group of
people for whom 24 or even 6 hours is a bit long, but 90 mins a week is  fine.
It has been great to work a whole batch of new calls that we wouldn't
otherwise work at all.

More generally (and this may seem controversial) have the contests  already
outgrown their original intention? This may seem odd coming from a  member of a
group with some modest success in these events but there is little  doubt
that the segments are becoming rather too crowded. The last SSB  leg was
essentially a zoo and wasn't pleasant to operate. These events are  after all supposed
to be fun for us rather more experienced contesters as well  but I am burning
more calories in 90 mins on the air than a couple of  hours down at Yate
leisure centre!

Maybe it is time to down the events to 10w, or maybe just hold one a  month.
Don't know. Let the debate continue.

Geoff G4FKA