[UK-CONTEST] RSGB 80M CC Data Contests

Colin Wilson CW at sheffield-live.co.uk
Fri May 2 07:23:44 EDT 2008

Geoff

You might be right as far as the SSB is concerned but CW and data is
another matter I believe, we have seen a really good response in
Sheffield from our members for the SSB but not so for CW and data.

I have another issue and that is that if a large number of our members
stay at home to operate it can and is indeed costing the club on door
takings evey time the contest is on a Monday night, Im sure were not the
only club affected by this bit of fun!  I have seen our takings down as
much as £30 on a contest night!  Why not hold these contests at the
week-end as normal say on Saturday or Sunday nights?

You could also argue that this contest (although we enjoy taking part
and not doing too badly at the moment), has an effect on other things
that the club maybe doing on club nights if people stay at home!  As I
understand it the contest is an attempt to get clubs doing things
together and in competition with each other. But this should not be at
the expense of club attendance!

73

Colin G3VCQ
SARC Chairman