[UK-CONTEST] CW Technology Debate (CW Skimmer)

Paul_group paul_group at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Fri May 2 09:35:33 EDT 2008

G3SXW wrote:

> And by the way, I agree that this whole issue is exaggerated. The software
> isn't that great in practice and anyway only a small proportion of
> contesters will go for it.

Agreed - but I expect it will get better as time and development continues.

Primarily as a dX chaser I can see some potential uses for it, would I
feel comfortable using it to "win" a contest... probably not... note -
not much hope of that anyway :-)

Whether we agree with the technology or not IMO its here and people will
use it, legally or otherwise. Recent F1 cheating is analogous to that. I
suppose calls for "it" to be banned are probably futile.

On the other hand it wouldn't be hard to adjust the contest format to
limit the effectiveness of the tool, contest organisers could place a
claimed points x2 penalty on each busted call and zero points for a
unique, another way would be making the exchange unpredictable. This
would go some way to encourage people to actually listen to what is
being sent.

The above suggestions would not suit the rate ego men of course and it
would make the contest harder for newcomers which might be counter
productive - if we are considering the future of the sport.

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI
http://www.gw8izr.com