[UK-CONTEST] CW Technology Debate (CW Skimmer)

G3SXW g3sxw at btinternet.com
Fri May 2 08:44:39 EDT 2008

Dave,
I don't see your problem.  Let's think of it as 'Operator-driven' as opposed
to 'Technology-driven'. Those whose satisfaction comes from making software
work will always do so, and they are very welcome. There's room for all.
They simply enjoy different challenges.

We just need to create category rules to separate us out. Your position
would be to ban the technology-driven guys altogether. But your 'Single Op
Unassisted' category is safe. Contests are already protected from DX Cluster
by the 'Assisted' category. Surely, Skimmer also makes you 'Assisted'.

And by the way, I agree that this whole issue is exaggerated. The software
isn't that great in practice and anyway only a small proportion of
contesters will go for it.
73 de Roger/G3SXW.