[UK-CONTEST] CW skimmer ramblings

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Fri May 2 16:42:32 EDT 2008

Bob, I haven't downloaded it as yet but I saw an offshoot in action
whilst staying at W5SG's QTH in March. That is called Reverse Beacon.

Anyone making a CQ on a segment of the CW end of 20m displayed in a
window. It actually decoded the CW (sometimes not very well) and linked
to a logging program it indicated if that station was needed on that
band. In this case it was checked against the FOC database and
highlighted if needed. It was fun to see the technology working but left
me wondering if this was really what I would want to progress to. The
whole point of having a receiver switched on, surely, is to manually
tune across the bands and find stuff yourself. We have the DX Cluster
which can be good fun at times but its use has degenerated. My view so
far is that CW Skimmer will prove to be even worse. I would still like
to hear some positives reasons other than it is an advancement in
technology.

Chris G3SJJ