[UK-CONTEST] CW Skimmer et all - DOOM and GLOOM

Tom Wylie t.wylie at ntlworld.com
Sat May 3 07:56:21 EDT 2008

I have watched the debate with interest.

Personally, I couldn't care less whether people
use Skimmer or not, providing they annotate their
log accordingly - like the "assisted" section.

Technology moves on at an ever increasing pace and
its only a matter of time until your station is
fully automated.   You can select the Contest you
wish to enter, click on the software, then go down
the pub and watch the footy on the telly, come
home and see how you got on in the Contest.

Contests will cease to have any meaningful purpose
in amateur radio.

Ever since the switch on of the first 2m repeater,
I feel that we amateurs have continued to devalue
or hobby, until now a days our licence is not
worth the paper it is written on.   We have made
the exams so easy, dumbed down every aspect of the
hobby and skimmer is just the latest gadget to hit
the screens.   Its no wonder Ofcomm wanted rid of
us a couple of years back.

I am not a great CW operator, but I enjoy working
CW.   What is the point of it all if a computer is
doing the receiving, transmitting, etc etc.   To
be a great contester nowadays, you have to be a
skilled computer operator.   Radio skills have
dropped down the list of requirements.   Apart
from a little antenna work still home made, what
else is there to do?   Soon there will be contests
in Echolink or whatever its called now a days.
An old friend recently told me  of a new programme
which will allow CW as well as SSB to be sent down
the computer wires......AAAaaaarrrrggghhhhh!  what
next

For me, Contesting has little or no meaningful
input to amateur radio at the moment.   In 10
years time, it will have none.   In 20 years time,
amateur radio as we know it will cease to exist.

Yes, I am not on the radio today, I am updating my
computer

Signed
Doom and Gloom!

Tom
GM4FDM
SCHOOL
A little girl had just finished her first week of
school. "I'm just wasting
My time," she said to her mother. "I can't read, I
can't write and they
Won't let me talk!"

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080503-0, 03/05/2008
Tested on: 03/05/2008 12:56:24