[UK-CONTEST] Aerial Mounting?

Paul Beecham paul at attenuate.org
Fri May 16 18:11:26 EDT 2008

Hi all,
Well I managed to put up a 4 ele MonstIR SteppIR on a p80 while tilted
by putting the boom on the tower and building it almost flat
horizontal. The trick is to leave the boom clamps loose so that when
you winch the tower upright the aerial naturally turns and stays
horizontal as the tower comes more vertical .
When the tower is upright tighten the boom clamp off.
If a long boom is used like on the MonstIR remember to install a
temporary boom support system that will allow the aerial to rotate and
still be supported. Basically the temporary one is at 90deg. to the
stock one. I used a piece of scaff pole and nylon rope. As the boom
rotates the weight of the boom is transferred from the tempory support
to the proper one. The rope stays on the boom but you can remove the
scaff pole when in the desired position.
Utmost care must be taken as this is a solution but in an ideal world
a crane would be safer.

73 Paul G6PZ