[UK-CONTEST] Increasing VHF contest participation by newbies

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Thu Nov 20 05:17:41 EST 2008

On 20 Nov 2008 at 9:58, Ray James wrote:

> Hi all,
> I note the Austrian "beginners licence" has just benefited by an
> increase in permitted power level to 100w on 144MHz. I believe this
> would also be an area of interest in the UK for 2m and above. With 10w
> or 50w on HF, the world is your oyster with relative ease. The same
> limitations on 144MHz and above does not inhibit operation on weak
> signal modes for contesting and DX'ing but doesn't actually make it
> easy. I know it can be done because I've done it myself but the current
> restrictions lend themselves more to the FM mode use which is typified
> by what has occurred since the inception of the foundation and
> intermediate licence. A good way to entice more interest is not to give
> them the full 400w capability but certainly give them a more level
> playing field in part of the spectrum that definitely needs their
> participation.
>
> 73 Ray GM4CXM
> IO75TW GS

I don't really think we want to start that debate on here Ray, the
differing views on it are pretty apparent from the RadCom letters.

One of the reasons for reducing power for Foundation licencees, which
seems to be being neglected, is the problem of TVI and other EMC
issues. The foundation course gives them little guidance what to do in
those situations. 100W on 2m or the higher bands is a disaster waiting
to happen in this respect, let's not go that way. 10W into a small yagi
can do a lot on 2m and should be what we try and encourage them to do.

(not a 2m fan here at all, but on HF I am excellent proof that you
don't need anything more than QRP power to work the world on HF).

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com