[UK-CONTEST] Increasing VHF contest participation by newbies

Paul pasquet g4rra at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 05:54:16 EST 2008

Good Morning Ray

 I agree totally with your view on this,of
course the problem is that Im not sure if it can be applied to 144Mhz
and above,but its a good idea.

On HF 10watts and a simple
antenna can enable you to work great distances especially if you use
cw,and with the choice of bands available this can be done at almost
any time of the day.

The same of course cannot be said for 144Mhz and up.

Doubtless
this will start the "I worked 9A with 10watts" brigade to reply,but as
those of us who are regularly active on 144Mhz know, that that sort of
QSO is not the norm.

The truth is that if you have 10watts to a
5ele,then 144Mhz ssb can be a very difficult place,and contacts can be hard
to come by,especially if you live a distance away from the main centres
of  activity.

Its pretty obvious thats why most of the newer
licencees end up on the local repeater just to get a QSO,and end up
comparing 2m with cb.

Of course if they want to progress then
they have that option,but if they do they normally end up blissfully
unaware of the fun that 144Mhz and up can bring,and just end up on HF.

There
are of course some who discover that HF is a pretty boring place when
you can work the world with a couple of hundred watts and a decent
antenna,and require a bit more of a challenge than shouting with half
of Europe at some guys sitting on a load of planks in the South China
Sea.

 At that point they are welcomed into the fraterity of real dxers,those who reside on 144Mhz ssb ;-)

Paul G4RRA

 http:/mysite.freeserve.com/4rra