[UK-CONTEST] encouraging youngsters

Laurence Mason laurence at forest-farm.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 06:59:29 EST 2008

If you read the web page about portability
http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=2244

Whilst they CAN be ported there are lots of things to check if you do.
It is much easier for an organisation to be clean and have a specific
one. Would you want to be the person who accepted someone else's check
and then there was a problem that would have been caught with a fresh
check (say 3 /6 months later) - it's known as CYA.

Someone has to pay for the check - as a parent to help with your own
child at cubs it is somewhere within the scouting organisation that does
it (I think at a reduced rate).

I do wonder how many people it has actually caught - presumably if you
were worried that you might fail you would not put yourself in a
position where you have to be checked.

Back to radio and showing the hobby I think one of the problems today is
that we have to go out and show the hobby so people know that it even
exists.

Twenty years ago talking on the radio around the world would get press
coverage which in general it would not today - so the general public do
not know that such a hobby exists. Sitting in under stair's cupboards,
fields days in the middle of nowhere don't show the hobby off and when
you do put a public station on you have to have someone engaged in
talking to the GBP (Great British Public) so they realise what they are
looking at and not just the backs of people's necks.

Laurence G4HTD