[UK-CONTEST] Call sign Dyslexia

James Hill jrh at g0fhm.net
Mon Oct 27 18:02:22 EDT 2008

Alex GM3ZBE wrote:
> I've always found ECHO a very weak phonetic for the "E" at the end of my
> callsign.  I've never been able to settle on a good one.  ECUADOR is
> quite strong but people don't expect it as a phonetic and I usually am
> asked for a repeat which is counterproductive.

One thing that has been noticed at our end of things, is that when using
a short contest call with a 2 in it, it's surprising the amount of ops
that seem to subsitute the 2 for a 3!

Whether it's because a lot of "more seasoned" ops are used to there
being no 2 in normal G/M callsigns, I dont know, but the amount of time
spent counting "one, two, one two, TWO" over this weekend (and others
when the call has been in use) has been time that could have been put to
better use working a few more stations! And, the amount of dupes that
called in, only to be adamant that they had not worked us, until they
were given the date and time of the original QSO... that usually
produced an "ahh......" and then silence, as they pulled up the QSO and
edited the log!

Most of the weekend was good though, especially the 2 mega pile ups on
80m that happened towards the end last night whilst I was on the mic,
after being spotted by a W7 during a run attempt after a protracted S&P
session mopping up mults.  During the first one, the QSO rate was up to
364/h, with a massive spike on N1MM.

Another funny moment, was after working a DL, instead of the usual "73,
good luck" I decided to throw in "My hovercraft is full of eels", in
perfect German! Apologies to the station if you are reading this, but it
seemed like a good thing to do at the time!

Finally, did anyone else think it odd that NA stations were still
workable on 40m Sunday morning at 10.30? or is that normal and something
that us of "working age" normally miss out on? hi.

James G0FHM